macaupost

190 taxi offences recorded during CNY: police

2019-02-11 08:06     Comment:0

A total of 190 offences by taxi drivers were recorded between Chinese New Year’s Eve last Monday and the fourth day of the Chinese New Year last Friday, with overcharging topping the list, the Public Security Police (PSP) said in a statement at the weekend.

According to Saturday’s statement, 76.8 percent (146 cases) of the 190 cases concerned overcharging, while 14.2 percent (27 cases) were about cabbies refusing to pick up passengers during the five-day period.

The statement said that the remaining 17 cases concerned other regulatory breaches. It did not elaborate.

A total of six cases of passenger transport services provided by unlicensed taxis were recorded during the period, the statement said.

4 firework offences
The statement also said that four cases of illegally letting off or selling firecrackers and fireworks were recorded during the period.
The letting-off and selling of firecrackers and fireworks is prohibited in Macau except in the officially designated areas for such activities during the CNY period.

There were two designated areas for the selling and letting-off of firecrackers and fireworks during the CNY period this year – an area in the Zone B reclamation area near Macau Tower, and the reclamation area in front of Estrada Almirante Marques Esparteiro on the northern waterfront of Taipa.

This year, the two areas opened on Chinese New Year’s Eve and closed on Saturday night (the fifth day of the Chinese New Year).

Meanwhile, the Municipal Affairs Bureau (IAM) said in a statement yesterday that all the remaining firecrackers and fireworks that were not sold during the six-day letting-off period in the two areas will be destroyed in the letting-off area near Macau Tower. Their destruction started yesterday and is slated to be completed this morning.

According to the IAM statement, 4,156 boxes of firecrackers and fireworks were imported for the CNY period this year, a seven percent decrease compared to last year’s CNY period. The statement said that 336 boxes of firecrackers and fireworks have to be destroyed this time, equivalent to eight percent of the total number of the imported firecrackers and fireworks for the CNY period this year.

The IAM statement said that 33,473 visits were recorded in the letting-off area on the peninsula during the six-day letting-off period, a 21 percent increase compared to the corresponding period of the Chinese New Year last year, while 23,021 visits were recorded in the letting-off area in Taipa, a 15 percent increase.

The IAM statement said that despite more people entering the two letting-off areas during the CNY period this year, the number of people who sought medical treatment due to injuries resulting from the letting-off of firecrackers and fireworks in the two areas decreased this time compared to last year, thanks to improved safety measures and management.

The statement said that 70 people in the letting-off area on the peninsula sought medical treatment, while 46 people in the letting-off area in Taipa sought treatment. The number of people seeking medical treatment decreased by 17 percent this time compared to last year’s CNY period. Most sustained slight injuries, the statement said.




Passengers get into a taxi in Avenida da Praia Grande last night. Photo: Tony Wong

PLEASE READ THE FULL ARTICLE IN OUR PRINT EDITION.



BACK HOME
MORE NEWS
COMMENT
Click refresh authentication code
TODAY'S COVER