The Health Bureau (SSM) said in a statement on Wednesday that it has intensified mosquito control and community inspections as imported cases of dengue fever and chikungunya increase during Macau’s summer travel season, urging residents to adopt preventive measures against the two mosquito-borne diseases.
According to the statement, the rise in overseas travel and the continued prevalence of dengue fever and chikungunya in popular destinations such as Southeast Asia, together with cases reported in neighbouring areas, have significantly increased the risk of community transmission in Macau.
Chikungunya is a viral disease spread by infected mosquitoes, causing high fever, severe joint pain, and fatigue.
In order to reduce the threat, the bureau has strengthened inspections at high-risk locations, including vacant land and construction sites, while carrying out joint inspections with other government entities to eliminate stagnant water and mosquito breeding grounds.
By late last month, health authorities had conducted 7,751 inspections of mosquito breeding sites and carried out 1,524 chemical mosquito control operations across around 130 hygiene black spots and areas linked to dengue and chikungunya cases, the statement said.
Since the beginning of this month, mosquito control operations at hygiene black spots have been increased to at least three to four times per month, the statement noted, while the Municipal Affairs Bureau (IAM) continues monthly mosquito control work in public parks, leisure areas, and municipal cemeteries.
The Health Bureau has also begun testing “smart biological mosquito traps” imported from the Chinese mainland. The devices mimic human breathing by releasing carbon dioxide and use specially designed lights to attract mosquitoes before drawing them into the machine, where they are dehydrated and killed, the statement noted. It added that authorities will assess the traps’ effectiveness, durability, and suitability before deciding whether to expand their use to other government facilities and public spaces.
Similar devices developed by local companies will also be evaluated, according to the statement.
To encourage personal protection, the bureau has launched a “Mosquito Repellent Sharing” programme in conjunction with several government entities. Around 200 public facilities across Macau now provide shared mosquito repellent, including health centres, public hospitals, border health checkpoints, educational institutions, cultural venues, social service facilities, and sports complexes.
The Health Bureau urged residents to prevent mosquito breeding by removing stagnant water around homes and workplaces, keep mosquitoes out of indoor areas using window screens, mosquito nets, or air conditioning, and protect themselves outdoors by wearing long-sleeved, light-coloured clothing and applying mosquito repellent to exposed skin or clothing.

This undated handout photo provided by the Health Bureau (SSM) on Wednesday shows its “smart biological mosquito traps”, which use biological respiration, set up along the perimeters of its facilities.



