>
Mons
3 Avr
17°C
4 Avr
19°C
5 Avr
17°C
6 Avr
11°C
7 Avr
9°C
8 Avr
11°C
9 Avr
12°C
>
Mons
3 Avr
17°C
4 Avr
19°C
5 Avr
17°C
6 Avr
11°C
7 Avr
9°C
8 Avr
11°C
9 Avr
12°C
Thursday, April 3, 2025

LATEST NEWS

title
Chui expresses condolences to Jao family
Chief Executive Fernando Chui Sai On yesterday conveyed his condolences to the bereaved family of renowned sinologist Jao Tsung-I who passed away in Hong Kong yesterday, aged 100.Chui praised Jao for his “patriotic spirit and meticulous academic work”, describing him as a “model for all of us”. Chui said that Jao would be remembered for ever.Jao taught Chinese culture, history and literature at the private University of East Asia in Macau, the precursor of the public University of Macau
February 7, 2018
Comment: 0
MGM to finally open Cotai resort on Tuesday
MGM China will finally open its repeatedly delayed casino-hotel resort in Cotai on Tuesday, in time for Chinese New Year.The company yesterday sent out invitations for the grand opening of MGM COTAI on February 13. This comes after the company delayed the opening at least five times since the company broke ground for the Cotai property in 2014.The US$3.4 billion MGM COTAI complex is the second property that the US gaming operator has in Macau, just over 10 years after it opened its first one in
February 7, 2018 | BY admin
Comment: 0
title
Govt launches tender for 100 more taxi licences
The Transport Bureau (DSAT) will launch a tender for 100 black taxi licences valid for eight years, according to an executive order signed by Chief Executive Fernando Chui Sai On.The order was published in the Official Gazette (BO) yesterday. It takes effect today.According to the bureau’s website, there were 1,492 black taxis in the city at the end of the third quarter last year.The order published yesterday does not state when the bureau will launch the tender.The order states that the 100
February 6, 2018 | BY admin
Comment: 0
title
Flu wave is easing: govt
The Health Bureau (SSM) said in a statement yesterday that the number of influenza patients seeking treatment at the public Conde de Sao Januario Hospital Centre has decreased over the past week.The bureau also said that there was no need for local schools to bring schoolchildren’s Chinese New Year holidays forward because of the flu wave.The statement noted that the number of patients, both adults and minors, with flu-like symptoms seeking treatment in the emergency department at the public
February 6, 2018 | BY admin
Comment: 0
title
5,177 new firms set up in 2017
The number of newly registered companies rose by 785 year on year to 5,177 last year, reversing a decline in the previous two years, the Statistics and Census Bureau (DSEC) announced yesterday.According to a DSEC statement, the total value of the newly incorporated companies’ registered capital rose by 1,013 percent to 8.2 billion patacas, mainly due to the incorporation of large-capital companies in the financial services sector.A total of 803 companies were wound up last year, involving a
February 6, 2018 | BY admin
Comment: 0
title
Tam doubts feasibility of health insurance system
Secretary for Social Affairs and Culture Alexis Tam Chon Weng yesterday expressed doubts as to whether it would be feasible to implement a health insurance system in Macau.Tam attended a plenum in the legislature’s hemicycle which discussed a debate motion jointly proposed by directly-elected lawmakers Becky Song Pek Kei and Si Ka Lon.The legislature passed the duo’s debate motion in December, which questioned whether a city-wide health insurance system should be established in
February 6, 2018 | BY admin
Comment: 0
title
‘Fiery’ dealer surrenders: police
A local man who caused a fire when stealing a motorcycle helmet surrendered to the police on Friday, Judiciary Police (PJ) spokesman Choi Ian Fai said during a regular press conference yesterday.Choi identified the suspect as a 31-year-old surnamed Lai, who works as a dealer in a casino.Choi said that on Thursday morning, the police received a report from the Fire Services Bureau (CB) about a suspected arson case at a parking space for scooters and motorcycles in Rua Norte do Patane. The fire
February 6, 2018 | BY admin
Comment: 0
title
Dealer helps gamblers cheat casino: police
The police arrested three suspects on Thursday for conniving to cheat a casino in Cotai out of a total of HK$450,000 last month, Judiciary Police (PJ) spokesman Choi Ian Fai said during a regular press conference yesterday.Choi identified the suspects as a 48-year-old local woman surnamed Wong, who started to work as a croupier for the casino in 2015, a 44-year-old woman from the mainland surnamed Hu who claimed to be working in the convention and exhibition industry, and a 27-year-old man from
February 6, 2018 | BY admin
Comment: 0
title
Vietnamese dies in bathroom CO poisoning
A woman was pronounced dead of carbon monoxide poisoning yesterday at the public Conde de S. Januario Hospital Centre, according to a statement by the Judiciary Police.The police identified the deceased as a 29-year-old Vietnamese woman surnamed Luu.Luu was a non-resident worker, but her form of employment was not revealed by the statement. Neither did the statement reveal whether the victim’s bathroom is windowless.The statement said that at 9:15 p.m. on Saturday, Luu went to have a shower
February 5, 2018 | BY admin
Comment: 0
title
Forum doubts proposed rules will tame housing market
Guest speakers and members of the audience at yesterday’s Macau Forum said they believed that the government’s proposed rules to tame the residential property market – a new additional stamp duty – would not be useful to cool down the red-hot home market, aside from doing nothing to help residents buy their own flat.The guest speakers and audience members said they believed the key to the problem is the long-standing insufficient supply of flats in both the private and public housing
February 5, 2018 | BY admin
Comment: 0
title
Court rejects lawmaker’s appeal against suspension
The Court of Second Instance (TSI) said in a statement yesterday that it does not have the authority to rule on political acts and, consequently, it decided not to hear an appeal by lawmaker Sulu Sou Ka Hou against his suspension from the legislature by his peers.The statement also said that for the same reason it decided last week to reject an interim injunction by Sou against his suspension.The statement said that the Judicial Organisation Framework Law (LBOJ) does not grant any court in
February 5, 2018 | BY admin
Comment: 0
title
Authorities seize 600 kg of smuggled fresh food
The Macau Customs Service and the Food Safety Centre of the Civic and Municipal Affairs Bureau (IACM) have jointly seized about 600 kilogrammes of fresh food from 13 eateries and a vegetable stall that had been smuggled into the city and had therefore not undergone food inspections, the Customs Service has said in a statement.According to the statement on Friday, the two entities jointly seized 559.91 kilogrammes of vegetables, 4.43 kilogrammes of seafood and 37.7 kilogrammes of processed food
February 5, 2018 | BY admin
Comment: 0
title
Govt wants heavier penalty for typhoon rumour-mongers
Secretary for Security Wong Sio Chak has said that the government is proposing that culprits should face a heavier penalty than normal if they spread rumours during typhoons and other disasters.Wong made the remarks while speaking to reporters on Friday after overseeing the swearing-in ceremony of newly appointed Judiciary Police (PJ) Director Sit Chong Meng, at the Secretariat for Security (GSS) in the S. Francisco Barracks.Wong said he expected to request approval from Chief Executive
February 5, 2018 | BY admin
Comment: 0
title
Suspected arsonist nabbed after leaving hospital
A suspect in an arson attack last year, which left a woman seriously injured and who is still hospitalised, was arrested after being discharged from hospital recently, a Judiciary Police (PJ) spokesperson said during a special press conference on Friday.The attack took place at a hardware shop in Rua de Martinho Montenegro in the afternoon of December 19.According to the spokesperson, the suspect is a 52-year-old local man surnamed Cheang, who owns a renovation and decorating company.PLEASE
February 5, 2018 | BY admin
Comment: 0
title
National security cases should be tried by Chinese judges: Chan
Secretary for Administration and Justice Sonia Chan Hoi Fan said yesterday that cases involving national security should only be tried by local judges holding Chinese nationality, as suggested by the government in its proposed amendments to the Judicial Organisation Framework Law.Chan made the remarks while speaking to reporters on the sidelines of a regular meeting of the Northern Districts Community Service Consultative Council, at the Government Service Centre in Areia Preta
February 2, 2018 | BY admin
Comment: 0
title
View: