90-year-old severe flu patient moved from ICU to general ward: Macau Health Bureau

2026-07-07 02:43
BY Khalel Vallo
Comment:0

The Health Bureau (SSM) said in a statement yesterday that a nonagenarian severe flu patient has been moved from a local hospital’s intensive care unit (ICU) to its general ward. 

The statement pointed out that the 91-year-old local man was diagnosed with influenza A and pneumonia after being admitted to hospital last week. 

According to the statement, the patient, who has a history of chronic illnesses, came down with a runny nose and cough on Thursday but did not seek medical attention. His condition worsened the following day after he developed a fever and shortness of breath, the statement said. 

He sought treatment at Kiang Wu Hospital, where he was admitted and diagnosed with influenza A complicated by pneumonia, the statement added. The patient was intubated and was transferred to the intensive care unit for treatment, according to the statement. 

The bureau said he has since been taken off the ventilator and was transferred to a general ward yesterday, where he continues to receive treatment, noting that the patient had not travelled outside Macau during the virus’ incubation period. 

The statement highlighted that he had also received this year’s seasonal influenza vaccine. The patient’s family members, who live in the same household, have not reported any symptoms. 

This 2020 image downloaded yesterday shows the structure of the influenza A virus. – Photo courtesy of  Wikipedia


0 COMMENTS

Leave a Reply